fuse keeps blowing

General 2 Stroke Maintenance and Repair (Keep it technical!)

Moderators: User Admins, Moderators

fuse keeps blowing

Postby caniscream » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:53 pm

my fuse next to the battery keeps blowing. its been happening for a solid month now. about two weeks ago i had to disconnect my kill switch because it was stuck on. after i pulled the horncast and disconnected i also took apart my headlight assembly. i had 3 rubbed wires that i taped up and moved out of harms way. i fugured all would be well but the dang thing keeps blowing. it sucks because now that i cant use the battery the turn signal is barely visible, the brake light sucks, and if im using the signal and brake light the headlight dims to almost nothing. HELP!
"the parachute broke loose,"
cried the goose with misplaced
but understandable concern
for his little brother's mental health.
his happy little brother,
and the forgetting of himself.
-mewithoutYou

mighty ohio scooter club!
caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Scooter(s): stella! bald john jetting, deblued, sito plus. still smoothing out the main. currently at 105.

Re: fuse keeps blowing

Postby dean » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:44 pm

gotta love these low grade wires... could be a bunch of things... are you running any new accessories? there's definitely a short somewheres...
dean
StellaSpeed Silver Level

Scooter(s): 07 stella - malossi 166 - sito+ - de-blued drilled - 55/160 160/BE3/110 - ammo box sound system :)

Postby caniscream » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 am

nothing new. bone stock as far as electrics go. im baffled.
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Scooter(s): stella! bald john jetting, deblued, sito plus. still smoothing out the main. currently at 105.

Postby James_ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:36 am

happened to me... turned out to be the foot brake switch... had to remove the pedal to access... PITA, but solved the problem!
Vespa PX200Disc ('00)
Harry Barlow Polini 208, Worb5 60mm crank, Reedvalve, PHBH28, Stock Exhaust + lots of other goodies.

Vespa PX200Disc ('99) "Out of the Jungle" Sito +
James_
StellaSpeed Platinum Level

Postby RuckusWayne » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I've seen a few times when the rear brake light bulb gets removed/replaced, and the little ground prong gets bent out and shorts. If you've had the lightbulbs out, try pulling the taillight off and checking the back side of the socket to make sure its in right. Of course also check under teh horncast and speedo cover, also the switch covers on the handlebars, check the switches to make sure they are all screwed/soldered down.
RuckusWayne
A Real Live Poster!

Scooter(s): 05 Honda Ruckus(Lammy powered!) 05 TGB 150, 93 Tomos toptank, 02 Honda Elite, 05 Vento Triton, 81 GS750L

Postby caniscream » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 pm

well i fooled with alot of wiring and nothing was bad. put a new fuse in and it popped before i left the autozone parking lot. i hadnt even hit the rear brake so we can rule that one out....
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Postby dag » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:00 am

caniscream wrote:well i fooled with alot of wiring and nothing was bad. put a new fuse in and it popped before i left the autozone parking lot. i hadnt even hit the rear brake so we can rule that one out....

Actually, your Running light and Stop light are linked to the same ground, so if your ground has made a connection to your running light power wire directly without going through the bulb then it shouldd promptly blow a fuse. You can try this, but enter at your own risk.

"A.k.a. Dags guide to not going insane when your stella's wiring goes to hell. Part 1. "

Replace the fuse and disconnect all the wires from your tail light , and wrap a little electrical tape around the connectors so they don't touch the frame. essentially you have 'no' brake light in the system. Then start the bike, if you blow the fuse, it's not your brake light. Also, if you have a multimeter, you can take the fuse out, set the meter to amps and stick the leads where the fuse connects. If it reads higher then 8 with the bike running then you would have blown a 8 amp fuse. But it will be higher than 8, it will probably be close to 50 until you find your bad ground (because that is what our batteries are close to and essential this is what grounding does). After you clear your tail light, repeat the same procedure for your head light, and DO NOT reconnect your tail light, keep it out of the equation just incase you have really bad luck and have had more that one wire fry on you. From the headlight move to the signals. Even though you probably aren't running your bike with a signal constanly on, doesn't mean that the flasher doesn't always have available power. So dissconnect the flasher next and tape off the connection and re test. By this time you have now tested all auxillary lights. Move on to the fuel gauge ( i assume this is a stella) and disconnect the gauge under your seat and tape off the leads, re test. Those gauges are netoriuos for screwing up so it woldn't suprise me if that wasn't the problem. Finally, dissconnect that stupid buzzer for th turn signals and try again. Finally as has been mentioned, you have the brake switches and should do the same thing for them. Oh yeah also test the horn, and remember that the button you push actually grounds it, so dissconted the grey wire to remove power to it. Remember work from one thing, test, then go to next thing and test again, and don't reconnect the component.

I should also make the point that the reason that you lights are dim at this point is because they are only getting a residual amount power, and thats to be expected until you find the bad ground.

If that doesn't work, then you need to address the electrical start (even if you never use it, and never do) which is tricky, so try all that stuff first and if you can't find it, then I'll speculate on that. OR it means one of your powered wires melted inside the frame and is grounding. So set your multimeter to Resistance (ohms) and put one lead to the frame/ negative terminal of the battery and the other to each power wire you disconnected for each of these system. Your checking for continuity, I forget the reading but if you put the leads together you should get a resistance, and if you touch a wire that is not grounded it should read 1 or infinity, i.e. these wires are not connected. Obviously you don't want a power wire to show continuity to the ground if it isn't connected to anything. That's bad. You should leave the fuse out for the continuity testing. Why not start this by doing this you ask? Well several of these components over lap ( wired in LL, not series) and if one component grounds it will give a short circuit reading for all the components also powered in by that same wire. So we are hoping you find the problem the intial way described above. Finaly there is a possibility that one of the wires from you stator is grounding directly but I really doubt it, but it could happen. One last thing, do NOT :mad: , under any circumstances disconnect your negative teriminal on your battery, that wire that comes from the negative battery terminal goes throught the frame under the gas tank and out to the flywheel cover (it's the big thick wire with ring connector). As long as that battery is grounded through that wire to the engine, it is acting as a better ground than YOU, which saves your ass from getting electrocuted in these senarios. I have the scar on my index finger to prove it. So always make sure that the negative terminal of the battery stays connected to the engine. Goodluck, let me know how it turns out.
I will Genuinely kick your ass.
dag

Scooter(s): 2003 Stella, 166 malossi, mazzy race crank, JL stainless lefty wrapped, 28mm PHBH FS on a polini intake/custom intake + Hot Reed. Parmakit iginition idle at 23BTDC, custom quick action throttle pulley.
Full clause mount setup, and YST progressive rear shock. Custom wiring nightmare but I blind all the cats on my street.

Postby dag » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:16 am

I should also mention not to do anything like touch a live wire while the engine or key is in the on position. Just for the mass of newbies that will eventually read this. Also if you don't feel up to the task you could always take it to a dealer, since it is fairly easy to shock yourself or do more damage if you don't take your time and have at least some experience with wiring, in other words i'm not responsible for the use of this guide. :D
dag

Scooter(s): 2003 Stella, 166 malossi, mazzy race crank, JL stainless lefty wrapped, 28mm PHBH FS on a polini intake/custom intake + Hot Reed. Parmakit iginition idle at 23BTDC, custom quick action throttle pulley.
Full clause mount setup, and YST progressive rear shock. Custom wiring nightmare but I blind all the cats on my street.

Postby caniscream » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:02 pm

well, my stella is under warranty (dont know if wiring is covered) but the dealer is 910 miles away. looks like i have an after work project on my hands. i was also just considering putting a new fuse in and turning the key on. then id try every electrical component until something blows. i think dumb luck would have to play into that formula.
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Postby dag » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:51 pm

caniscream wrote:well, my stella is under warranty (dont know if wiring is covered) but the dealer is 910 miles away. looks like i have an after work project on my hands. i was also just considering putting a new fuse in and turning the key on. then id try every electrical component until something blows. i think dumb luck would have to play into that formula.

Does the fuse blow when you turn the key on, before you start the engine?
dag

Postby caniscream » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 pm

no it blows whenever it feels like it. tonight i noticed anytime i had the foot brake and hand brake on together it would blow, any thoughts??
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Postby James_ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:17 am

check the brake light switches and connections as suggested above. Same thing happened to me...
Vespa PX200Disc ('00)
Harry Barlow Polini 208, Worb5 60mm crank, Reedvalve, PHBH28, Stock Exhaust + lots of other goodies.

James_

Postby caniscream » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:52 pm

im real new to the world of both stella and wiring. where exactly are the brake light switches?
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Postby timo scoot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm

caniscream wrote:well, my stella is under warranty (dont know if wiring is covered) but the dealer is 910 miles away. looks like i have an after work project on my hands. i was also just considering putting a new fuse in and turning the key on. then id try every electrical component until something blows. i think dumb luck would have to play into that formula.

The warranty is not limited to the dealership that you bought it from. Genuine has dealerships all over the country. AB can help you out with this. What are they, 100 miles from Enid? Yeah, that would be a tricky and time consuming mission to drop off the scooter, but leave it with them for a week or so, and they will have you fixed up. It is worth a call at least.
VS5, VLB, VSE, VMA2, BMW C1
timo scoot
StellaSpeed Gold Level

Postby caniscream » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 pm

i typed 910 miles didnt i? i meant 90. haha. i bought it from atomic brown. great people there. yea i know i can haul it down there and get it in a week or so but id rather just fix it myself. the withdrawal for a week would be unbearable. i'm going to give it one more week of me messing around before i give up and take it to them.
-mewithoutYou

caniscream
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Postby dag » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:52 pm

caniscream wrote:im real new to the world of both stella and wiring. where exactly are the brake light switches?

one is located by the front brake lever. It's very easy to see as it has two wires that come out of the headset and connect to it. The other is located within the foot pedal. It can be reached by removing 3 bolts on the underside of the floor board and is obvious after you pull the foot pedal down. Remember to unclamp the rear brake cable to do this (and remember to reclamp it when your done reinstalling it).
dag

Postby James_ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 pm

what he said...
Vespa PX200Disc ('00)

James_

Return to Stella, PX, & Largeframe Vespa Maintenance and Repair