wide tire kit

2 Stroke Modification and Performance Tuning (Keep it technical!)

Moderators: User Admins, Moderators

wide tire kit

Postby stevieapollo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 am

can someone tell me what having a wide tire kit does? i think it looks sweet to have a fat back tire but what is the purpose of it? when people buy wide tire kits do they do the front and the back? or do they just do the back?

can someone show me a good bide tire kit for my px200.
stevieapollo
Getting The Hang Of Posting

Scooter(s): stella 2008 and p200 1980

Re: wide tire kit

Postby BadLuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm not sure a "WIDE" tire kit is even possible for the Vespa/Stella. I could imagine a way to do it but it would require a LOT of modification to the bike. Do you have any pictures of a Vespa/Stella with a wide tire?
Full Circle Crank
Pinasco 177 Kit
GGR reeds
24/24 Carb
p200 filter
No airbox lid
lots and lots of port work (thats what Bobby said)
Mallossi Clutch
Vintage226 Hotwing
BadLuck
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): 2009 Stella with sidecar.

Postby Magg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Over here, adding a wide tyre kit is a pretty common thing to do. I like the way they handle if you don't go too wide, not everyone does, though. The widest you can go is 130/70-10.

This is not a PX, but it gives you an impression on how wide you can go:

SIP sells you the kit you need to do it. It is basically a spacer that moves your rear tyre to the left. To have the front and rear wheel aligned properly afterwards, you need to cut a part of the engine on the right side where it bolts to the frame and add a spacer on the left side. This way the front and rear will be on line again.

The widest you can go without a wide tyre kit is 100mm. Not all 100/90-10 will fit without rubbing though, so it depends a little on the brand.
Magg
StellaSpeed Gold Level

Scooter(s): 1963 Vespa GL 225
1959 Vespa Touring 177
1987 Vespa PX 200E Sahara Edition

Postby JSharpPhoto » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:15 pm

just buy a motorcycle.
Vespa Serie Fotografica - Vespa Photos Now on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/VespaPhotos?ref=ss_profile
JSharpPhoto
StellaSpeed Iridium 5000

Scooter(s): 1974 Vespa Sprint Veloce, 1963 VBB 180 Custom

Postby BadLuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:27 pm

Like I said seems like a lot of modification to do it rite and it really isnt that much of a differance...... IMO
Full Circle Crank
Pinasco 177 Kit
GGR reeds
24/24 Carb
p200 filter
No airbox lid
lots and lots of port work (thats what Bobby said)
Mallossi Clutch
Vintage226 Hotwing
BadLuck
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): 2009 Stella with sidecar.

Postby stevieapollo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Magg wrote:Over here, adding a wide tyre kit is a pretty common thing to do. I like the way they handle if you don't go too wide, not everyone does, though. The widest you can go is 130/70-10.

This is not a PX, but it gives you an impression on how wide you can go:

SIP sells you the kit you need to do it. It is basically a spacer that moves your rear tyre to the left. To have the front and rear wheel aligned properly afterwards, you need to cut a part of the engine on the right side where it bolts to the frame and add a spacer on the left side. This way the front and rear will be on line again.

The widest you can go without a wide tyre kit is 100mm. Not all 100/90-10 will fit without rubbing though, so it depends a little on the brand.

what do you use to cut the engine? did you do it yourself?
stevieapollo
Getting The Hang Of Posting

Scooter(s): stella 2008 and p200 1980

Postby talindsay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:49 pm

Simply put, a wide tire kit is silly on a bike like a Stella. In the world of big bikes there's a series of decisions and compromises regarding how much horsepower the rear tire puts out vs. handling - a wider tire allows more power to get to the road without spinning the rear wheel, but it makes the handling sluggish. But on a scooter, you're going to harm your handling for no good reason - these bikes are EIGHT HORSEPOWER from the factory. If you intend to get that up somewhere above 20 then it might make sense, but even then you'd be better to spend the money on a new clutch, new gears, better brakes, a new hub, etc. before considering the rear tire.

Just my 2¢ anyway.
12 creme stella - 4-stroke - stock
05 mint green stella - sito+, boyeson two-stage reeds, 166cc cylinder, mazz crank
05 aegean blue triumph bonneville - Ikon 7613 rear shocks, Ricor intiminator front shock valves
08 trek 1.5 - stock
13 VW Sportwagen TDi
12 Fiat 500
talindsay
StellaSpeed Iridium 5000

Postby sandor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:15 am

talindsay wrote:... but even then you'd be better to spend the money on a new clutch, new gears, better brakes, a new hub, etc. before considering the rear tire.

Just my 2¢ anyway.

i would add "better tires" to that list too.
sandor
StellaSpeed Gold Level

Postby ColdBeer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

stevieapollo wrote:can someone tell me what having a wide tire kit does? i think it looks sweet to have a fat back tire but what is the purpose of it? when people buy wide tire kits do they do the front and the back? or do they just do the back?

can someone show me a good bide tire kit for my px200.

Basically, every vespa with wider rear tire looks way better, and handling in curves is improved. Specially on wet.
It is very simple modification, and I have explained it here: http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14921&start=60
My advice is not to go on 130/70-10 tyre, it's too wide, and you have to use one "Ape" half of rim, and move engine 15 mm to the right. And no improvement over 110/80-10 that I use on both my PX-s, in terms of driveability.
Everything else is explained on that link ...

My two cents ;)
ColdBeer
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): Vespa PX200E ('87), P200EHotrod('82), GT200L('07)

Return to Stella, PX, & Largeframe Vespa Modification and Tuning