SIP Speedo with CHT

2 Stroke Modification and Performance Tuning (Keep it technical!)

Moderators: User Admins, Moderators

SIP Speedo with CHT

Postby Dandee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Anyone on the board have experience with the SIP digital Speedos?
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Produ ... +SIP+.aspx

I want to do some customization and these look pretty cool.
Dandee
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): 2003 Tangerine Stella w/P200-Sito Plus

Re: SIP Speedo with CHT

Postby bholinath » Sun May 15, 2011 4:11 pm

i would also like to hear from anyone who has fitted one of these. the needle goes off the clock on my 120kmph speedo and a temp gauge would be very handy
Here I am with such a fine Rally 200 tourer.............and I'm stuck on this tiny little island.
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): Rally 200, SS180

Postby Zep66 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am

First up - easy to install and looks trick.

Three issues....

1. The CHT ring (red loop that goes around spark plug) get torn up, so order spares.
2. The proble that screws in to mine broke and is a bit too fragile, so handle with care.

After soring all that out - finally I get an accurate speed reading!
The CHT works fine.

.....BUT...

3. After three weeks of faultless performance, the whole unit flickers then died.

Double/triple checked wiring, could only isolate the problem to the unit.
Returned the unit to SIP, who were happy to refund the money (less my two lots of shipping charges to Asutralia).

Hope you have better luck.

Zep66
1966 VBC - Motor: 2002 LML 150, 3 port, Pinasco 177, 24/24Si, 140 Main Jet, T5 4th Gear, 226 Vintage Hot Wing pipe, Front Disk Brake & Johnson Rod.
1992 P200e Arcobaleno - Stock.....for now.
Zep66
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): VBC 1966

Postby bholinath » Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 pm

it arrived! i would feel a lot safer knowing how hot my engine is so had to buy one in the end.
it came today....it looked like one that had been returned to the shop!? Inside were opened packets with the wrong wires.
They've promised to send the correct wires.
Damn and blast!
how did you end up dialling in your whell circumference?
and how accurate is the analogue reading compared?
Here I am with such a fine Rally 200 tourer.............and I'm stuck on this tiny little island.
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby Zep66 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:36 am

That sucks!! bet you have my old one..

The speedo rules, first time I felt I had an accurate speed reading - super accurate.

You need three bits of info:
1. Number of teeth on the speedo cog in the hub (bit in the hub the cable plugs into)
2. Number of teeth on the axle/hub drive
3. Circumference of your tire.

For the tire, get a bit of chalk and mark a line on your tire, then mark the ground under the mark to line up a starting point. Move the scoot forward till the tire mark rotates one full time and arrives back at the bottom of the tire and mark the lowest point on the ground. Now you have two marks on the ground, get a tap measure and measure the distance between the two marks you made on the ground - that will be the circumference (distance your tire travels every rotation).

The speedo needs the ratio between 1 and 2, divide the two numbers then find the corresponding ratio in the list options on the speedo. Then add the circumference.

It works by counting the revelations on the speedo cable then applying the rotation of the two gears (hub and speedo), very clever, especially not relying on magnetized resistance nonsense of the old units.

Good luck with the unit -

Be really careful of the spark plug rings, the get torn up very easily, good idea to get some spares.

Zep66
1966 VBC - Motor: 2002 LML 150, 3 port, Pinasco 177, 24/24Si, 140 Main Jet, T5 4th Gear, 226 Vintage Hot Wing pipe, Front Disk Brake & Johnson Rod.
Zep66
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby bholinath » Fri May 27, 2011 5:34 pm

thats kool thanks

do you know if the analogue needle on the speedo works without power?

i would have hoped so

only, mine does not. as i was fitting it i hooked up the speedo cable but the needle does not move.
i check the unit with a match stick and the needle does not move either.
the female socket is definately moving but the needle does not move
(The stock speedo needle does move when i try this)
so thats why i was wondering if it needs power feed.

i spent the day wiring in the cht wire through the frame.. what fun but done now.
i left a spare wire in the chassis in case i wanted to run something else later on so thats connected too
As Im using a reprofiled head i need to use spacers on my spark plug anyway..so now i will have to 'index' my spark plug again to get the right height and angle...which means taking off the cylinder head to have a look..just as i got it nicely sealed.

but now i have found a problem i did not know i had

i checked my voltage reading from main feed and it only measures 1 - 2 volts!
but all my lights (running on a/c) still work nice and bright
my battery is fully charged
i will search / post antother topic for advice
its not right
(resitance is fine too)
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby Zep66 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:46 pm

It will need power to properly work out the ratio you have entered in the unit.

I think it would still work, as you have a battery box that comes with the kit, I assume it acts to keep the voltage regulated and the setting.

Q: can you mount the sensor directly to the head? I have seen some of the aircraft sensors where they are screwed down to an area near to the spark plug. I wanted to mount mine that way as I the rings are a pain to keep at the right angle and orientation and will get bent and brake. One of the sites had the instructions where an area between two plugs on a twin spark head had to be leveled to allow a thread to be taped to screw a probe base down. It may be an option to save you re-machining your head.

As for the voltage, get it from lights in the head set, you need to get it close to 12v or you will drain the battery box.

Zep66
Zep66
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby bholinath » Fri May 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Q: can you mount the sensor directly to the head?

i dont see why not . in theory it should still measure the same temp. using the spark plug to attach it is the easiest way for us end users to fit them.
im not intelligent enough to say for sure if the area around the spark plug is the hottest part of the cylinder head.

i think if im doing lots of plug chops i will have to leave it off for as long as possible, as it will become a pain.
its also a pain for me as i have a reproflied head where the spark plug protrudes a little too much. ive just got it set right with copper washers and will have to take off the head again to recheck how far spark plug sticks in and which direction the ground strap faces, with the sensor ring on the plug.

are you using a resistor spark plug or does it not need one?
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby Zep66 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:18 am

Using NKG B9HS (5810). I like my plugs cold.

BTW: I have reverted back to a stock Speedo as the SIP unit died after a couple of months.

Real bummer - I had a pre-order the unit before the production items were available, I waited 6 months for the unit to be delivered then the bloody thing dies after a couple of months!!!! Not going to get another one - lost my confidence and patients with them.

As for mounting the sensor to the head - a thought - you could take a normal reading with the spark plug ring fitted normally, then re-fit by clamping the spark plug ring and sensor to the head and take another reading. If they match - it will work fine.

Zep66
Zep66
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby bholinath » Sun May 29, 2011 9:30 am

that sucks

i hope you ask for a refund. most products have 1 year guarantee no?

if i ever get my complete speedo i'll let you know how long it lasts...bloody SIP
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby bholinath » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:53 am

finally, SIP sent me the black box that should have come with the speedo.

its early days yet but it working well

for those interested, on my pinasco 224 , the cht on a long run reached 225f
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby hojo1690 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I just installed one of these on my p200e. I've written up full installation instructions, for posterity. If interested, you can find them here: http://vespatinkering.blogspot.com/2011 ... vespa.html

Mike
hojo1690
Getting The Hang Of Posting

Scooter(s): 1980 Vespa p200e
1957 Vespa ACMA
1979 Vespa p200e
1974 Vespa Ciao

Postby Dandee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Any experience in fitting it to a Stella? My understanding is it wont fit. My choices are a different headstock or a blanking plate fabrication.
Thoughts?
Dandee
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby bholinath » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 pm

after 1 x CHT ring snapping off whilst riding i decided to find some 10mm CHT rings and im gonna mount them to my cylinder head studs instead. (i thought it miracolus that my CHT reading was only 138c @ WOT!)

actually, i would expect the 2 x different readings to be slightly different (slightly hotter on the plug)

does anyone know where i can get just the spare rings (10mm) without the extra wire that comes with them?
bholinath
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby Dandee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Just an update. I ordered a new headstock top from Vivo Scooters. Looks great and works well on my Stella. No problems so far...*knocks on wood*
Dandee
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby Dandee » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:29 pm

My temp gauge stopped working on this thing. I checked the sensor and wires and everything is intact, just no temp reading. I get ---F now.

Any thoughts before I send it back?
Dandee
StellaSpeed Black Level

Postby mlehman144 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 pm

buy a trail tech proven and made in the usa 120.00 gets you rpm cht egt speed and trip timers
mlehman144
StellaSpeed Black Level

Scooter(s): 1963 allstate 190cc 2 port , 2008 rattler 147cc , 1958 round tail QUATTRINI M1XL172cc under construction,2005 stella dr 180 vortex jl pipe, 1993 dr 250

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:49 am

Dandee wrote:My temp gauge stopped working on this thing. I checked the sensor and wires and everything is intact, just no temp reading.

check again:
- put a lighter to the probe = temp should move rather fast and drop fast when flame is not on probe... if not then clean the contacts.

The connectors on the CHT gauge can get loose / loose contact with the wires from the probe even if they look fine with your eyes. Clean them well / light sand and recrimp the lead wires so the connection is better.

Might just be corroded...??
spiderwebb
StellaSpeed Gold Level

Scooter(s): '81 135 sport (highly ported & matched to case, 24 PWK BGM powerjetted carb, direct to barrel reed, 1.8mm squish, strait cut primmy, 4 gear, uprated clutch spring, 3.5x10 rear tire, EGT/CHT),
'69 DL-150 lambretta (all stock except MBD chain guides),
'96 SIL GP-200 (28 PWK BGM carb, piston ported expansion pipe, glove box, EGT/CHT)
:)

Postby fisher1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 am

My temp gauge stopped working on this thing. I checked the sensor and wires and everything is intact, just no temp reading. I get ---F now.

Any thoughts before I send it back?

Remove the battery and allow it to go completely dead. Then replace the battery and check to see if the dislay is restored.

If the display is still not working correctly, try jiggling the wire while watching the display to see if you can find where a possible broken connection is.
fisher1
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Scooter(s): 2009 Stella 2T
1970 Triumph 650

Postby fisher1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:32 am

By "battery" in my above post, I mean the CHT's little battery, not the scooter's battery ... thought I should clarify...
fisher1
StellaSpeed Bronze Level

Scooter(s): 2009 Stella 2T
1970 Triumph 650

Return to Stella, PX, & Largeframe Vespa Modification and Tuning